Class III Special Police Officer
The Denville Township Police Department is seeking professional, qualified and energetic applicants who possess the department’s core values of honesty, integrity, fairness, compassion and respect for the position of Class III Special Law Enforcement Officer. This Class III Special Law Enforcement Officer position will be responsible for school safety and security duties within Morris Knolls High School.
The Class III Special Police Officer position is a yearly appointment and this position will begin with the 2023-2024 school year. The position may be renewed each subsequent year with the approval of all applicable parties. The salary offered is $37 per hour with an average workweek of 37.5 hours during the school year. The Class III Special Law Enforcement Officer only works when school is in session, except for any specific in-service training that may be required. Hiring preference may be given to applicants who previously served in the capacity of a School Resource Officer or who are D.A.R.E. or L.E.A.D. certified instructors. There are no health, dental or prescription benefits offered with this position. However, the employee will be eligible to receive paid time off.
- Applicant must be a retired officer who previously served as a duly qualified, full time law enforcement officer in any municipality, county, or agency of this state, a bi-state agency, or a federal agency, and must be living in New Jersey (separation from service may not be more than three years at the time of appointment).
- Applicant must be retired from their previous agency in good standing. If selected, the applicant will be required to have a letter of good standing issued by the agency from which the officer retired, identifying the date and type of retirement.
- Applicant must be less than 65 years of age.
- Applicant must be physically capable of performing the functions of the position, as determined in accordance with the Police Training Commission.
- Applicant must possess a valid New Jersey Driver’s License.
- Applicant must successfully pass a background investigation, to include psychological and drug testing.
Interested candidates must complete the online PoliceApp (www.policeapp.com) application no later than 11:59 pm on Monday, August 21, 2023. There is a $35 non-refundable fee to complete the application process on-line.
The Township of Denville is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will be given full consideration.
Any questions concerning this position should be directed to Captain Jeffrey Tucker at firstname.lastname@example.org or 973-627-4900 x 334.