MAKING REPORTS OF OFFICER MISCONDUCT
Internal Affairs Officer
Captain Jeffrey Tucker
973-627-4900 x 334
It is the policy of the Denville Township Police Department to accept and investigate all allegations of officer misconduct or wrongdoing from any citizen. This policy is followed in accordance with the New Jersey Attorney General's Internal Affairs Policies and Procedures, which must be adhered to by every police agency in the state.
In order to fulfill the requirements of that policy, located here are the necessary forms and information to answer any questions that a citizen may have regarding the process or to proceed with filing a complaint. You may also contact the Internal Affairs Officer, Captain Jeffrey Tucker, with any questions you may have or to initiate a complaint.
Civilian Complaint Information Sheet: This information sheet explains how to file an internal affairs complaint and additional steps that may be required from the complainant as part of the internal affairs investigation process. The Civilian Complaint Information Sheet is also available in the following languages from the N.J. Attorney General's Internal Affairs Policies and Procedures website:
Internal Affairs Report Form: This form may be completed by the complainant and submitted online to initiate the internal affairs complaint and investigation process. The Internal Affairs Report Form is also available in the following languages from the N.J. Attorney General's Internal Affairs Policies and Procedures website:
In addition to the information provided on the Civilian Complaint Information Sheet, the following information regarding internal affairs complaints should also be noted:
- Complaints will be accepted regardless of the hour or day of the week.
- Complaints will be accepted from any person, including anonymous sources.
- The Internal Affairs Officer may make arrangements to meet with the complainant at their home, place of business or another location, or via telephone, in order to conduct any required follow-up interviews if the complainant is not comfortable with responding to police headquarters.
- If the complainant is uncomfortable reporting the complaint to the Denville Township Police Department, they may report their complaint to any other police agency or the Professional Standards Unit of the Morris County Prosecutor's Office. The Prosecutor's Office can be reached during normal business hours at 973-285-6200.
- While every member of the Denville Township Police Department is trained in the proper reception and handling of citizen complaints, the citizen may contact the Internal Affairs Officer or Chief of Police directly if they feel it is necessary or if they have any additional questions.